I am participating in my first quilt along! The one I am participating in is Pat Sloan’s Grandma’s Kitchen. You can find out more information here.. She releases a new block every Wednesday. We are 4 weeks in (though I only have 2 weeks done), and it will end the day before Thanksgiving. The end result will be a lap sized quilt. And I’m not gonna lie, I love it and hate it, and here’s why:
- I’m out of my comfort zone- I defiantly stick to what I know when it comes to quilts. And my favorite are block and pixelated quilts.
- I don’t know what the end result will look like- The only control I have over it are the fabrics I use. It is a little hard to let go of that control for me.
- Trying to make time- Sometimes it’s hard for me to stay on top of each week’s block. I know, it’s only one block how hard can it be right? My oldest just started summer school, which I forgot about. And between orders, I never know if I’ll get slammed with them one week or not. But I’m trying my best!
1. It’s taking me out of my comfort zone- I know this is a hate too, but I also love that I’m forcing myself to try new things.
2. I’m getting to sew for me- I don’t get a lot of time for selfish sewing between orders and sewing for my girls, so I love that this is for me.
3. I’ll get a full quilt out of it by the end- I can’t wait to see what it will look like. I have a feeling it will be a conversation piece for sure!
I did blocks one and two twice! I first wanted to do a patriotic theme. But I have SO many patriotic fabrics that I had a hard time picking. And I already had some of the fabric precut because I had another project in mind for them before I found out about the quilt along. So it just wasn’t working out. Here are the patriotic blocks for week one and two.
I just wasn’t feeling it. So I looked in my stash and found some fabrics that I thought I could work with. I’m still not 100% in love with it, but I think it’s because I don’t know how this will look in the end. I’m really trying to lose control here, but it’s so hard for me! So I found 3 fabrics that look well together. I kept it to 3 so that way I have some control over here!
Here are weeks one and two with the fabrics I’ll be using for the whole quilt along.
I can’t wait to show you guys my progress and the end result! Please let me know what you think!!